Searching for the best countertop pizza oven to help you craft stunning crisp-crust pizza right at home?
With many options more than ever, choosing the right one can indeed be a daunting process.
No need to worry, though!
I’ve tested over 10 countertop pizza oven and use a couple of them on a weekly basis for whipping up pizza and beyond.
Today, I’m excited to share with you the indoor pizza ovens that not only performed exceptionally well during my tests but also stood the test of time over months of use.
Let’s get started!
✅Best Countertop Pizza oven For Home
- Ooni Volt 12 countertop pizza oven [Best Overall]
- Presto 03430 Pizzazz Plus Rotating Oven [Best for Budget]
- Breville Smart countertop pizza oven [Pizzeria grade Pizza]
- PYY Pizza countertop pizza oven [Best Mid-Range]
- Shikha Commercial countertop pizza oven [For Busy Kitchen]
🤔Can A Countertop Pizza Oven Replace A Regular Oven?
Both countertop pizza ovens and regular ovens are options for making pizzas at home.
But if you intend to make authentic pizza with a crisp texture, the countertop pizza oven is ideal.
However, I don’t see countertop pizza oven displacing the typical kitchen oven.
Capacity: Regular ovens come with larger cooking space than countertop pizza ovens.
The latter is designed for baking perfect pizzas. So there’s no room to cook multiple dishes simultaneously.
Plus, you might struggle to fit larger dishes in a countertop pizza oven.
Cooking versatility: Regular ovens offer more cooking functions than the countertop pizza oven.
They are perfect for roasting, baking, broiling, and much more.
They come with a wider range of temperature settings and controls.
Cook time: Countertop pizza ovens are known for their extreme heat production.
This results in faster cooking time.
But not all dishes need such rapid cooking performance.
This is where regular ovens shine better with slow cooking mode.
All in all, countertop pizza ovens are a great addition to any kitchen.
They are perfect for making top-notch pizzas you will be proud of at home, especially Neapolitan-style pizzas.
Rachel Trujillo, a pizza expert from Food Network, says it better, “ . . . at-home pizza ovens have definitely proved their value by creating the crispiest crust and perfectly melted cheese without overcooked toppings.”
It’s a must-have if you are looking to craft memorable pizzas.
Bear in mind, they do not match up with the regular oven’s versatility and functionality.
🔠Types Of Countertop Pizza Ovens
Countertop pizza ovens are not created equal. Several types of countertop pizza ovens are available based on the fuel option.
This type of countertop pizza oven features heating elements.
Usually, they come with two elements, one at the top and one at the bottom, for even heating.
Also, they sport interesting features like timers and adjustable temperature controls.
Electric models are an excellent choice for small-scale pizza production and home kitchens.
These ovens run on either propane or natural gas. They are primarily used in pizzerias and other professional settings. However, there are compact models designed for home baking.
Gas versions are revered for their high-heat and quick heating performance. Thus, resulting in a crispy crust.
Also, they come with adjustable temp control to regulate the heat for precise cooking.
The choice between the electric and propane countertop pizza oven depends on your cooking preference, size, temperature control, heating capabilities, and ease of use.
⭐Best Countertop Pizza Oven Reviews
1. Ooni Volt 12 countertop pizza oven
After 200 hours of testing and cooking with countertop pizza ovens, I’ve found the Ooni Volt 12 to be the overall best countertop pizza oven for home chefs
The reasons are not far-fetched at all.
This appliance features top-of-the-line temperature control technology, superior insulation, and rip-roaring heat output.
This device is an electric model. Yet, it produces restaurant-grade pizzas with a perfectly crisp texture.
It has an automatic heat setting. The process becomes simple and hassle-free, requiring no prior experience or expertise.
Not to mention, the Volt 12 comes with a generous 2-year manufacturer warranty.
No question asked; Ooni will refund you if you are unhappy with your purchase.
So, check this out . . .
Robust Steel Shell: The Volt 12 is built with solid stainless steel that I’ve no doubt will last for many years.
I boasts the newest powder-coating technology for impressive weather resistance. It’s great for both indoor and outdoor pizza party.
The build quality is top-notch.
Everything seems well-made and a thousand-dollar worth. I couldn’t find any part that was cheaply made.
Triple-Paned Borosilicate Glass Door: Instead of the typical two-pane design, Volt 12 has three.
This provides superior insulation for a consistent cooking environment and even doneness.
Cooking up a delectable pizza was relatively easier. The oven did not require an active input from me – no turning or shuffling whatsoever.
Plus, the door’s transparency allows easy monitoring without opening the door.
Excellent Heat Control: During my test, the Volt 12 offered one of the best cooking flexibility; thanks to its adjustable dial.
You can control the heat levels of the top and bottom element separately.
Cooking the toppings faster than the base seemed to work for me.
The result was fantastic. Great pizza with melted cheese, puffy edges, and crispy crust as you can in the picture.
Unlike other models I tested for this review, Ooni did reach up to 850 degrees F. That’s how hot enough this oven get. It made the best Neapolitan pizzas of the lot under 2 minutes.
It took the oven roughly 20 minutes to come to temperature. I find it impressive, considering that my Ooni Koda 16 takes 12 – 15 minutes as well on full throttle.
Folks looking to make a one-time, huge investment in a “premium” countertop pizza oven.
- After using it for over three months, the Volt 12 is the best option. It has a sturdy build quality, packs superior cooking power, and is portable enough for easy carrying.
- This unit comes with a generous 13-inch cooking space. It’s easy to bake a 12-inch pizza without feeling cramped in there.
- This model uses two heating elements to fire up to 850 degrees F in around 20 minutes. Even better, there was zero need for me to track the entire process like a wood-burning model. It’s more like a set-and-forget operation.
- It packs a lot of extra features, like an adjustable heat dial, that make baking any style of pizza seamless for me. The “Boost” mode is handy whenever I need the extra char on the crust and browner cheese.
- I noticed the stone’s temperature drops by 50 degrees when the door is opened. Thus, uneven cooking, especially in areas close to the door. Sometimes, I result to rotating the pizza constantly for even doneness.
2. Presto 03430 Pizzazz Plus Rotating Oven
In my opinion, the Presto 03430 is the best countertop pizza maker for budget homeowners.
This unit sports the Next-Gen Dual Heating Technology.
It’s capable of cooking the toppings, melting the cheese, and adding color to the base.
Also, it has an ingenious rotating pizza tray and a powerful 1235-watt heating element.
So, sit back and watch your favourite TV shows while it does all the work for you. Oh, there’s a timer function, so it doesn’t overcook your pie.
Instead of a pizza stone, it uses a non-stick pizza stone that still delivers terrific pizzas.
Despite not costing an arm and a leg, the manufacturer offers a whopping 2-year warranty.
It’s the most affordable pizza oven I purchased for this review, and here’s why I love it:
Cutting-edge dual heating technology: Even at this low price point, this unit boasts two heating elements.
I independently control them to cook the base or toppings longer for proper doneness.
Even a newbie can achieve the perfect pizza crust every time.
Rotating Nonstick Baking Tray: Presto 03430 Pizzazz Plus showcases a high-performing baking pan.
It’s removable, which reduces this appliance’s footprint and made it easy storage in my kitchen cabinet.
Moving on, the pan features premium non-stick coating.
it handle the high heat, without any toxic fumes emitted, which was my initial fear.
WIth its non-stick coating, it took me less than 5 minutes to clean this oven up after baking hum and pineapple pizza.
Timer Function: What you don’t get on a gas-fired pizza oven is a timer function this unit flaunts.
It offers up to 20 minutes of cook time.
It made testing this oven less exhausting. I didn’t have to babysit the cooking process . . . grabbed a beer instead and watched few scenes from Breaking Bad.
This unit will automatically shut off once it reaches the set cook time.
This is a BIG win for forgetful cooks like me.
Home chefs are looking to make fantastic pizzas occasionally without draining their wallets.
- This hot-plate-style pizza oven is by far the easiest unit I’ve ever used or tested. There’s no need to shuffle or learn to ideally launch a sticky pizza from a peel onto the stone.
- After extensive testing, the Presto 03430 consumes less energy than the Volt 12.
- Also, there was no need to create space for this appliance on my kitchen counter. It barely took up any room. Plus, the removable baking tray makes it easier for this pizza oven to fit into my tight, available space.
- I’m impressed with its solid build quality, considering it is 15 times cheaper than the Ooni Volt 12. The shell’s polished finish offers a sparkling clean appearance at all times.
- This super affordable unit is almost as versatile as any unit on this list. Beyond pizza, this appliance makes delicious French fries, high pretzels, and mozzarella sticks.
- This unit is not my go-to for making artisan-quality pizzas. I prefer the Ooni Volt 12 or the Breville Smart countertop pizza oven.
- Also, it takes about 12 minutes to bake a Neapolitan-style pizza. So, I won’t suggest this model for home chefs looking to make more than two pizzas at a time.
3. Breville Smart countertop pizza oven
If you ask me, the Breville Smart is the best electric countertop pizza oven for pizza lovers.
This model offers 7 preset functions to cook any style of pizza without breaking a sweat.
Additionally, it has a manual mode. This feature is especially attractive to professional pizzaiolos.
It comes in handy to craft distinctive pizza profiles and flavors to one’s preference.
As if that’s not good enough;
Unlike the Volt 12, there’s a FREE pizza pan and peel.
Superior Stainless Steel Construction: This unit is made of sturdy stainless steel. It’s just as rugged as the premium Volt 12.
I also loved the luxurious feel of its brushed stainless steel shell, right out of the box.
I don’t particular agree with other customers saying it’s not as eye-catching as the powder-coating on the Volt 12.
Regardless, it’s highly resistant to scratches, dents, smudges and corrosion. That’s all matters to me at least.
A load of Preset Modes: As I said already, this appliance proudly features cutting-edge Element IQ Technology.
With its 7 preset modes, it automatically adjusts the heat levels for perfect results.
By adjusting the dial, I can choose from the following preset modes: Wood Fired, New York, Pan, Thin & Crispy, and Frozen.
Out of the product I tested, this best countertop pizza oven from Breville made the best NY pizza of the bundle.
But for Neapolitan-style pizza, it did great but not the crust was not as crisp as my favourite Volt 12.
Notwithstanding, it cooks any pizza style and recipe, like a true pizzaiolo.
Innovative Cavity Design: Like the top-selling Volt 12, this unit has a modern dual heating system.
The only difference is the cordierite stone is attached to the door and pulls out as you open the lid.
This makes it a breeze to launch and retrieve your masterpiece.
Also, it features a superior insulation system. This holds the heat longer than its competitors.
It made pizza after pizza without any time-wasting recovery.
Home cooks looking to craft perfect thin or deep-dish pizzas even with no experience.
- After testing dozens of pizza ovens, Breville Pizzaiolo is my dearest choice for creating true artisan pizza. It perfectly caramelizes my pizza crusts with a beautiful “leopard”.
- This unit warms up quickly. I can start launching my pizzas in about 15 minutes. This is almost as fast as the best-selling Ooni Volt 12.
- Unlike other units on this list, the Breville Pizzaiolo has several handy preset modes. Even my little cousins can bake their cheese and pepperoni pizzas like a pro. And, of course, under my strict supervision.
- Thanks to its Intense radiant heat, I barely worry about spinning the pizzas. In less than 2 minutes, it cranks out a perfectly baked 12-inch crust with a crispy texture ready to excite my tastebuds.
- It’s significantly cheaper than Volt 12 and comes with a BONUS peel and pan.
- Outside of warranty, there’s no way to get a replacement for the stone if damaged.
- The cooking chamber is on the small side. I feel cramped when I need to shuffle the pizzas.
4. PYY Pizza countertop pizza oven
For versatile cooking, the PYY Pizza Oven is your best bet.
It combines the high temperatures of a pizza oven with the flexibility of a regular oven.
With a powerful 1,100W heating element, it warms up to 572 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s plenty of heat to cook NY pizza and beyond.
It features an advanced insulation cotton system. This delivers consistent heat distribution for even cooking. Like the Breville Smart, rotating your pizza is not necessary for proper doneness.
Pioneering Heat System: The PYY Pizza Oven features two heating tubes.
They efficiently raise the temperature up to 572 degrees in minutes.
However, this mid-range appliance has a better heating performance with its cotton insulation.
Unlike the Presto 03430 Pizzazz Plus, this sucker holds the temperature longer during my test side by side. Hence, you can bake the next pizza in a shorter time.
Wide Cooking Range: Unlike other models I experimented with, this pizza maker can double nicely as a regular oven.
It features a robust pull-out tray. It accommodates my baking steel for crafting decent pizzas or parchment paper for roasting vegetables.
Also, you can cook longer in this pizza oven than others on this list.
It offers up to 60 minutes of hands-free cooking experience.
Impressive Build Quality: This model features an excellent stainless steel construction for better heating performance.
More so, this oven’s shell rocks oil paint for a stain and fingerprint-free exterior.
The shell stays cool to the touch even after running it at its maximum temperature for an hour.
Folks are interested in a reasonably-priced pizza oven for pizzas and other everyday dishes.
- From my testing, this oven takes 10 – 15 minutes to attain 512 degrees Fahrenheit. Once ready, this unit knocks out mouth-watering pizza faster than a regular oven.
- Everyone, including customer reviews, says this unit cooks everything, from cheese sticks to French fries, better than a microwave.
- It’s great that this appliance has a crumb tray. I don’t have to spend extra minutes cleaning the oven after cooking.
- Thanks to its superior heating technology, this modern oven offers even heating. My results are always a uniform golden brown, making the meal visually satisfying.
- Unlike Volt 12, I had to wait about 8 minutes for a perfectly baked pizza. Also, you don’t get that charred crust or leopard Breville Smart offers.
- Further, you don’t get any preset functions like the Breville Smart. So, expect a learning curve with this device. Remember, PYY Pizza Oven is 3 times cheaper with almost the same cooking performance.
5. Shikha Commercial countertop pizza oven
The Shikha 3000W Pizza Oven is the best commercial countertop pizza oven available.
This appliance flaunts a large 40L cooking capacity. This is more than enough space to bake two 16-inch pizzas at a time.
Another exciting highlight of this commercial oven is its heat emission holes. This guarantees excellent heat dissipation for even cooking and great results.
The Shikha 3000W looks similar to the high-performing PYY Pizza Oven.
However, it has a higher temperature range. It exceeds 572 degrees F and reaches a higher 660 degrees F.
What I got after cooking a simple cheese pizza was a nice crisp crust with a more defined flavor profile.
Ample Cooking Capacity: Large baking space is essential for high-volume pizza making.
Luckily, this unit offers plenty of that.
It comes with two cooking chambers that are spacious enough to fit up to 16-inch pizzas and bake two of them at once.
Unlike the PYY Pizza Oven, this unit’s door features explosion-proof light and a glass window.
Hence, it was easier to keep track of whatever I was cooking, even from a distance.
Wide Temperature Range: For snack bars and catering businesses, a wide temp range is crucial to making several dishes.
Shikha 3000W Pizza Oven has a generous temperature range from 120 – 600 degrees F for multiple uses.
As a result, it’s capable of baking artisan-quality pizza, sweet potato bread, etc.
Independent Heat Control: This commercial oven has three knobs to control the three heating elements independently.
The upside is you can cook different pizza recipes at the same time.
Its powerful 3000W heating system allows both chambers to cook at crazy-searing temperatures.
The Shikha 3000W Pizza Oven is designed for small pizzerias, bakeries, and home clubs.
- This unit’s build quality is impressive, considering its price. The stainless steel is rock solid and does not wrap under extreme temperatures.
- This unit’s built-in hollow boron plate has excellent heat distribution and retention. Hence, making it easier to achieve super crisp pizza.
- Thanks to its 360°Air Circulation technology, I don’t rotate the pizza. Still, it comes out beautiful with a perfectly caramelized crust and melted cheese.
- For pizza parties, its double-deck design comes in handy. Everyone builds and bakes their preferred pizza to perfection in less than 5 minutes.
- The top oven gets too hot. So, it cooks faster than the bottom. This was the reason I burnt a couple of pizzas at first.
8 Key Things To Consider When Choosing A Countertop Pizza Oven
Pizza is a favorite staple and is available in different types. Some pizza types are best created in a certain type of pizza oven.
Deep-dish pizza cannot be perfectly cooked in an electric pizza oven.
They can be challenging to take out once it has been perfectly cooked.
Gas or wood-fired pizza ovens are better at it.
Also, gas and wood-fired ovens are more suitable for baking pizzas with heavy toppings.
However, any high-performing pizza maker, either electric or not, would make excellent thin-crust pizzas.
When shopping for a countertop pizza oven, the temperature range should be on your checklist.
This factor is integral to the oven’s baking performance.
Models with a broad temperature range allow you to achieve more culinary feats.
The most important thing, at least for baking pizzas, is a high heat performance. It’s crucial that the countertop pizza oven heats up to 700 degrees F or higher.
Otherwise, your results will lack that signature crispy texture and flavor if you want to sear steak and vegetables, lean towards ovens capable of delivering high temperatures.
Generally, baking with gas is more affordable than electricity and wood. But it still boils down to the oven’s insulation, cooking space, and energy efficiency.
In terms of energy efficiency, electric ovens are excellent. They have more precise temperature control, which is subpar to their counterparts.
For gas models, most home chefs prefer cooking with propane. It’s slightly cheaper than natural gas.
Ultimately, choosing these different types of pizza ovens hinges on your cooking intention and fuel availability. The more readily available a fuel source is, the cheaper it’s to cook with.
Also, wood becomes a costly option if you want to bake only a couple of pizzas for small consumption.
Conversely, it can be a cheaper alternative to electricity for a large party or commercial purpose.
Most countertop pizza ovens are portable and have a cooking space to accommodate a 12-inch pizza. Yet, some models feel more spacious than others.
Therefore, letting you shuffle the same 12-inch pizza without feeling cramped.
However, some models offer ample space to cook up to 16-inch pizza to feed a crowd.
Remember, units with larger cooking space tend to eat up more space in your kitchen. So, if you don’t have space for a cumbersome oven, it’s best to stick with portable options.
You don’t necessarily have to splurge on a large unit if you’re baking for your small family only.
On the other hand, you should go all out in a large oven if you frequently host parties.
Another factor to take into account is versatility. Considering how much a pizza oven costs, potential versatility is a welcome benefit.
Most pizza ovens are designed to bake wholesome homemade pizza to crisp perfection.
Nonetheless, if you intend to use this specialty appliance for other cooking functions, it’s best to consider electric models.
Their precise temperature control makes achieving a plentiful assortment of culinary delights easier.
Furthermore, the size of the oven is related to its versatility.
An oven with a wider cooking chamber offers enough space to fit larger dishes. They can accommodate a hot tray or skillet for roasting or searing meats, vegetables, or fish.
Regarding pizza ovens, cooking performance is always the most considered factor.
User-friendliness is another crucial aspect that includes temperature control and setup.
Electric models are more approachable and easier to use than countertop versions.
The formal comes with preset pizza settings, allowing novice cooks to bake the perfect pizza every time.
Some high-end electric pizza ovens might allow you to choose your preferred shade level.
On the other hand, most gas units have no heat mode or settings.
It’s either the flame is On or Off. Creating the right cooking temperature in the chamber requires a learning curve.
Countertop pizza ovens are hassle-free to clean.
For gas models, there’s barely any post-cooking cleanup demanded. These appliances get very hot to burn off the residue or spill off for an easy cleaning experience.
This is a tad shortcoming of the electric alternative.
They don’t get hot enough to burn off what’s left in the oven.
So, you have to do a bit of scrubbing to get rid of the stuck ones. This is also an easy process that takes only a couple of minutes.
In terms of safety features, electric models are more appealing than their gas counterparts.
With the digital pizza ovens, you can set everything on a timer. This can be super handy, especially for easily distracted cooks, leading to perpetual burnt pizzas.
Some gas models have an automatic shut-off function that cuts the gas supply once the flame goes off.
This reduces the risk of potential accidents and prevents the buildup of harmful gas in your oven’s cooking chamber.
So, always look out for the safety features available on the pizza oven before splurging on one.
💬Countertop Pizza Oven Related FAQ
How much counter space does a typical countertop pizza oven require?
Most countertop pizza ovens come in almost the same size as your regular oven. On average, this appliance takes up about 12 – 18 inches of width, 12 – 16 inches of depth, and 8 – 14 inches of vertical space. Keep in mind some models, like Presto 03430 Pizzazz Plus, are more portable and need no extra space.
How long does it take to preheat a countertop pizza oven?
It depends on the appliance. Some pizza ovens, like Volt 12, come to temperature in less than 15 minutes. Others might take up to 30 minutes to reach 600 degrees F.
Is there a noticeable difference in the taste of a pizza cooked in a countertop pizza oven vs. a traditional oven?
Pizza oven delivers crispier and better-tasting pizzas than those from a regular oven. The formal can reach extreme temperatures necessary for achieving artisan-quality stone-baked pizzas.
Do countertop pizza ovens require special pizza stones or pans?
Most countertop pizza ovens are supplied with a pizza stone. However, you can replace it if you’re not satisfied. Models like Breville Smart Oven are supplied with top-quality pans and stones.
Traditional ovens fall short when creating exceptional pizzas. Usually, it ends up causing more frustration than anticipated.
Utilizing a pizza oven is the key to effortlessly crafting delectable pies at home.
Sadly, the market is flooded with numerous options. And not all deliver on their extravagant claims.
So, I have handpicked the best countertop pizza ovens, after testing over a dozen options side by side for weeks.
From my experience, they offer an outstanding baking performance necessary for whipping up wholesome pizzas.
This recommendation will spare you from overwhelming stress and the risk of wasting your hard-earned money.
The links provided may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you if you choose to purchase the recommended product. This support allows our research and editorial team to continue providing high-quality recommendations. As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising initiative, we are able to earn advertising fees through providing links to products on Amazon.com. Please rest assured that we only recommend high-quality products.