It was starting to get to me. Every time I had an itch for a thin Margherita pizza or a ham and pineapple pizza, it meant putting up with about 30 minutes of overseeing the fire, which was no longer fun, for just a couple of delicious bites.
Was it worth it? Clearly, it’s a big NO for me!
So, I considered buying a gas pizza oven to save time and reduce my stress. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough space in my backyard for another large oven.
Luckily, there are ovens designed to offer cooking options for both wood and gas. After testing a couple of models nearby and meticulously reading hundreds of reviews (I wish you could see me going through them all), I found and invested heavily in one of the best dual-fuel pizza ovens.
To help others save time and money, I have compiled a list of the top 5 multi-fuel pizza ovens that stand out from the competition, are worth investing in, and are sure to level up your pizza-making game.
🥇Best Dual Fuel Pizza Ovens For 2024
- BEST VALUE: [ooni Karu 12 – Multi-Fuel]
- Editor’s Pick: [Pi Pizza Oven (Dual fuel)]
- BEST FOR BUDGET: [Roccbox (Dual fuel)]
🤔How Dual Fuel Pizza Ovens Work?
Dual-fuel pizza ovens are one of the easiest and most efficient ways of baking sumptuous pizzas. These devices are engineered to use two fuel options – wood and gas.
The gas burner component of the oven heats the oven quickly and evenly, reaching a temperature of approximately 700 degrees Fahrenheit in just a few minutes. Some models like the Roccbox (Dual fuel ) offer golden flame as opposed to the blue ones for a slightly smoky aroma and taste.
If you intend to cook with wood, switch out the accessory and install the wood fire burner. Start and build up the fire in the fire tray until the oven is ready to cook, which usually takes more time and overseeing than in its gas form.
But wood provides an alluring smoky flavor and authentic wood-fired taste revered by pizza enthusiasts.
Overall, dual-fuel pizza ovens offer an unmatched balance between flavor and heat, which makes them highly sought after for serious bakers looking to make unique culinary delights.
✅Benefits of Using a Dual Fuel Pizza Oven
There are some exciting benefits of using a multi-fuel pizza oven over the single-fuel models:
Dual-fuel pizza ovens allow you to choose your preferred and most appropriate fuel source to cook with. For instance, cooking one or two pizzas with gas is more efficient than wood. However, having that choice makes the hybrid model attractive to conscious bakers.
While you can make something delicious other than pizza in mono-fuel pizza ovens, its counterpart can handle a wider range of cooking methods, including roasting, smoking, baking, steaming, and a lot more, thanks to its multi-fuel choice.
With the dual-fuel pizza ovens, you don’t have to tend to a fire, which makes it much easier to achieve extreme temperatures quickly and switch to the wood-fire option for even higher temperatures for unparalleled thermal performance.
⭐ Reviews – Best Dual Fuel Pizza Oven 2024
1. Ooni Karu 12 – Multi-Fuel Outdoor Pizza Oven
So far, the Ooni Karu 12 still remains my favorite and the best overall multi-fuel outdoor pizza oven.
This unit definitely stands out for all the good reasons – durable stainless steel construction, innovative fuel tray, and top-of-the-line Cordierite stone baking board. It’s the closest thing to a brick wood-fired oven 一 without the unwieldy size and exorbitant cost.
The Ooni Karu 12 does not eat up a lot of space in your backyard or patio but still offers plenty of room to bake and maneuver your 12-inch pizzas with ease. Another nicety I appreciate is that the three sturdy stainless steel legs provide stability and make it effortless to set up the device in any outdoor location or tabletop.
Overall, the ooni Karu 12 perfectly balances size, performance, and convenience.
- Smart oven design 一 Ooni sets itself apart from the competition with its innovative specialized fuel tray, which maximizes airflow for optimal efficiency. With wood, the Karu 12 took about 20 – 25 minutes to 850°F, depending on how windy the day is. Also, you’ve to constant throwing in more wood chunks or pellets to maintain the flame.
- Cooks in 60 seconds 一 the Ooni Karu 12 features heavy insulation, particularly in the air-tight firebox and oven doors, which effectively traps heat and ensures it’s ready to cook in 15 minutes at a searing 850°F with propane. Despite the pizza stone’s impressive thermal efficiency, the oven needed to cook longer than the promised “cooks in 60 seconds”. In testing, this oven needs around 1min 20secs to churn out pizzas with a crispy crust and leopard spots in seconds. Also, the stone temperature only drops by 80°F, after first cook, which is enough residual heat to cook another pizza immediately.
- Ultra portability yet versatile 一 with its lightweight design and small footprint, this dual-fuel gadget provides ample space to accommodate various cooking tasks, including using a cast iron pan to prepare mouthwatering frittatas, cornbread, roasted vegetables, and more.
- Amazing temperature control 一 in its wood-fired format, you can easily manage the flame using the damper to control the airflow via the chimney. However, for beginners, it’s best to leave it open throughout the cook to avoid smoldering the flame. For the gas configuration, Ooni thoughtfully adds an additional temperature control to the gas burner for precise temperature control.
Home or seasoned chefs are looking for an exceptional multi-fuel pizza oven to cater to their ambitious outdoor and on-the-go baking needs without breaking the bank.
- Backed by a 5-year manufacturer warranty for extra peace of mind with your purchase
- Sturdy stainless steel construction to withstand the harsh weather conditions
- Anyone can switch out the fuel tray for the optional gas burner with a screwdriver in less than 2 minutes.
- It comes with a top-of-the-line Cordierite stone baking board that delivers perfectly browned pizza crust and well-cooked toppings.
- Superior insulation offers unmatched heat retention for everyone to make their preferred pizza without a long wait between batches.
- After a while, this model loses its shiny and pristine look, which is typical with even the high-end stainless steel models.
2. Pi Pizza Oven (Dual fuel)
In my opinion, the Pi Pizza Oven is the best portable multi-fuel pizza oven – at least on this list.
It measures 15.125 H x 20.5 D x 20.5 W inches, significantly smaller than the Karu 12. Plus, there’s no chimney or feet, which means ZERO hassle of assembling and disassembling your device whenever you need to use or store it.
Despite its petite size, it packs all the perks of a top-quality multi-fuel pizza oven, from rugged stainless steel construction to last many years to a lifetime warranty for maximum protection against any potential issue. This is a great reassurance for customers who want to invest in a high-quality pizza oven.
- Stylish and functional design 一 this tabletop pizza oven features an eye-catching Demi-Dome construction and a 13-inch wide Panoramic Opening, making it much easier to launch and spin your sumptuous pies without ruining the crust. Unlike the Karu 12, you can easily build and fuel your fire from the rear door without the hassle of pushing the ash pan to the back through the front. Also, it’s easier to take out for a quick clean up.
- Incredible propane cooking performance 一 the Pi Pizza Oven, with its add-on gas burner, delivers surprising results as if it were cooked with the wood-fired component. It left gorgeous char spots on whatever style of Neapolitan pizza you make with a very firm crust, perhaps because it could easily attain a high heat of about 800 degrees F in 18 mins.
- Lifetime warranty 一 Solo Stove is undeniably one of the top brands in the market, and their lifetime warranty is a testament to the quality of this fun backyard pizza oven and its ability to produce many pizzeria-quality pizzas to delight your guests.
Pi Pizza Oven is an excellent choice for diminutive backyard chefs who prefer baking their pies with propane gas but still want a wood-fired option for an occasional smokey flavor.
- Relatively compact and light enough to move around
- Although not as rugged as the Karu 12, its 304 stainless steel construction is super durable and easy to wipe clean
- Strong propane flame for excellent cooking results even on windy days
- Despite being thinner at 13mm, the cordierite stone on this pizza oven offers comparable baking performance to the 15mm option found on the Karu 12.
- The wood-fired performance of this pizza oven could be better. Although it is easier to build a fire, managing or getting it above 750 degrees F can be pretty demanding. To achieve a crispy pie crust, one must continuously monitor the flame and ensure it reaches and maintains high heat, which can be very challenging.
3. Gozney Dome (Dual-Fuel Pizza Oven)
After three months of testing, I can confidently say that the Gozney Dome is the best multi-fuel pizza oven for serious outdoor bakers looking to take their pizza-baking game to the next level.
It’s an excellent choice for home chefs looking for a modern version of the revered wood-fired brick oven to escape the stress of building one from scratch.
This Times‘s best invention of 2021 is quite bulky, weighing approximately 128 lbs. This means it would be helpful to have an extra pair of hands to lift and permanently install it. If you plan to move this heavy pizza oven around, purchase the manufacturer’s stand with durable caster wheels for smooth transportation and maneuverability.
- Breathtaking design 一 available in either olive or bone, this premium pizza oven is aesthetically pleasing and will surely complement your outdoor decor. And perhaps, the most stunning display is the captivating rolling flame on the right of the oven that never fails to leave an awe-inspiring effect on my guests, and I can’t seem to get enough of it.
- Powerful and efficient heating performance 一 cooking with wood requires about 45 minutes to get this hefty beast to its max temperature of around 800 – 900 degrees F and ready to start churning out mouthwatering slightly-topped pizzas under 2mins. That’s IN-SA-NE! Plus, its one-of-a-kind 30mm baking stone holds that high heat longer than its competitors (no one yet).
- Sizeable opening 一 This luxe dome’s opening is large enough to fit a 16-inch pizza peel. That’s plenty of room to heat-blast larger pies and give them a good spin for even doneness without losing your hearty toppings.
- Integrated features 一 considering its high price point, it’s only reasonable that this best splurge packs several essentials like a built-in digital thermometer, innovative air ventilation, and Steam injector to take your baking skill a notch or three above your peers.
Outdoor cooking Passionists searching for a valuable addition to their backyard that can cater to everything from pizza nights to barbecues, this is the perfect investment.
- Commercial-grade construction that offers peace of mind when leaving out there
- Its innovative insulation mechanism maintains a peak temperature of 950 degrees Fahrenheit to provide outcomes that rival, if not surpass, those of your favorite fancy pizza parlors.
- This top-of-the-line model offers versatile cooking capabilities beyond just pizzas, allowing you to sear, roast, smoke, steam, and much more.
- Boasting stunning aesthetics and thoughtful functionalities, this model is in a class of its own.
- Weighing over 128 lbs, you need to call your friends to help move and install it in your backyard.
- The price might burn a hole in your pocket.
4. Ooni Karu 12G Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven
I enjoyed the Karu 12G for its stylish design, short preheat time, and wood fire performance. The integrated thermometer and portability are added bonuses.
However, it’s pricier than the Karu 12, and keeping the oven lit with the wood burner can be a challenge.
After comparing the Karu 12 and 12G side by side, I was impressed by the Karu 12G results and performance. This model is the newest addition to the Karu series.
At a glance, it looks similar to the best-in-class Karu 12, but it has been completely redesigned to be 30% more efficient, dazzling, and a worthy rival to the stylish Karu 16. The result is noticeably shorter preheat time and superior heat retention, culminating in an amazingly better pizza-making experience.
However, its price point is twice the Karu 12. Is it worth it?
- Smarter overall design 一 this new version boasts an award-winning powder-coated stainless steel design for outdoor use. It features a triple-paned borosilicate glass front door to retain heat, improve flame management and viewing, and prevent soot accumulation. Classy and durable, it’s perfect for your garden or backyard.
- Shortest preheat time 一 This pizza oven’s heavy insulation means no need to tend to fire all day. Be ready to pitch your margherita or pepperoni pizza in 15 minutes. From testing, that’s enough time for oven to reach 750 – 80050°F. Plus, it can make more pizzas in a row than Karu 12, which makes it perfect for crowded pizza nights. Its 15mm cordierite baking stone never disappoints in churning out perfectly brown crust and those attractive char signatures.
- Excellent wood fire performance 一 While there’s no doubt that this unit will impart your pies with the authentic smokey flavor, it comes in handy for various cooking options. With the heat-resistant chimney baffle, a backport to easily feed the beautiful rolling flame, and the right skill, the Karu 12G is suitable for low-and-slow cooking with excellent results.
Individuals are seeking an advanced pizza oven that can deliver exceptional wood-fire performance and enable them to craft a range of delectable savory treats in their backyard or on the go.
- It is integrated with a thermometer on the side that takes away the guesswork or need for an aftermath thermometer to cue you in on when to pitch the pizza.
- It looks more stylish and luxurious than its predecessor, which is perfect for beautifying your outdoor space – no need to hide this one.
- This latest edition has an add-on gas burner that consumes 36% less fuel than the top-choice Karu 12. So you can start saving on fuel and baking more irresistible culinary treats.
- Like its predecessor, this unit is portable enough to carry around without an extra hand. It is convenient when creating BBQ chicken pizza on the go.
- Sometimes, it’s a struggle to keep the oven lit when using the gas burner.
5. Roccbox (Dual fuel)
I recently got the Gozney Roccbox to accessorize my backyard, and I’m thrilled with its premium construction and striking design. I love that it requires no assembly and has retractable legs for easy carrying and storage.
The Roccbox Wood Burner 2.0 and patented Baffle Plate Technology ensure efficient cooking, while the 19mm Cordierite Pizza Stone retains heat for perfect results. It’s great for both backyard cooking and taking on trips. However, I wish it came with a gas hose and regulator. Overall, it’s an easy-to-use and stylish pizza oven that I highly recommend.
If I was looking to accessorize my backyard to make my neighbors and friends jealous without spending thousands of dollars, Gozney Roccbox is the leading man for the job.
Straight out of the box, you can feel the premium construction, from the dome stainless steel engineering to included pizza peel. Plus, the silicon jacket, which comes in different luxe hues, makes it look striking on any countertop, patio, or garden.
- No assembly is required 一 the Roccbox features cutting-edge engineering that makes it so simple to use, even for a first-timer. There’s no need for a toolbox. The legs are attached and retractable to choose your preferred height and foldaway for convenient carrying and storing experience. This incredible highlight comes in handy when switching out the burners. Unlike the Ooni Karus, all you have to do is twist on or off the burners for your preferred cooking option.
- Breakthrough Roccbox Wood Burner 2.0 一 Not only are these burner accessories the easiest to install on my list, with no issues whatsoever, but this latest burner also outperforms its predecessor in terms of efficiency – no more babysitting.
- Patented Baffle Plate Technology 一 This deck reaches temperatures of 800-900°F in 25 mins, despite its open-door design. With the stone at temperature, baking a perfect Neapolitan-style pizza takes 2 – 3 minutes. Additionally, the burner produce sufficient smoke to infuse your meals with the most authentic flavors, making it ideal for preparing mouthwatering pizzas.
- Thickest 19mm Cordierite Pizza Stone 一 In contrast to the widely popular Karu, which offers only 15mm options, this unit boasts a thicker baking stone that ensures exceptional heat retention, resulting in fantastic outcomes and the ability to handle baking pizza after pizza without any pesky delays. Temperature drop after the initial cook was 73°F at the front, and 60°F towards the flame.
Daring bakers need a stylish yet powerful backyard pizza oven that doubles perfectly as a portable device for tailgating or camp trips.
- Dense insulation to trap most of the heat with minimal heat loss to the open-door design
- The beautiful silicone jacket provides a safe and touch-friendly surface, allowing you to easily snap and carry it away.
- A thicker baking stone holds more heat for perfectly browning subsequent pizzas without the long wait.
- A cinch to use and clean up after use
- Backed by a 5-year manufacturer warranty
- It would have been better if this pizza oven had a gas hose and regulator.
🧾Factors to Consider When Choosing a Dual Fuel Pizza Oven
Before shelling out dough on a hybrid pizza oven, here are some important factors you might want to consider to ensure you are making the right investment:
This is the most critical factor in purchasing a multi-fuel pizza oven. It’s crucial that you consider how readily available and easy to access these fuel sources are.
While most options run on gas, you have to choose between propane and natural gas. Also, models like the Ooni Karu 12 & 12G are compatible with charcoal. So, if that’s something you’d like your pizza oven to work with, consider a model that’s perfect for your preferred fuel choice.
When shopping for a product like a pizza oven that ranges in price, it’s essential to determine how much you are willing to pay. It narrows down the extensive search and increases your chances of finding a model that’s perfect for you.
Keep in mind that dual-fuel models are pricier than their mono-fuel counterparts. Also, a product with more fuel compatibility will likely require you to shell out more dough.
While you might feel tempted to splurge on expensive models, they might pack a lot of features you won’t use. So, focus on your budget and find a product that offers the most value for your money.
Apart from the budget, when deciding which oven to choose, it is essential to consider factors such as size, capacity, and location.
If you want to set up a pizza oven in your backyard permanently, you should consider unwieldy models like the award-winning Gozney Dome. They are perfect for making large-sized pizzas to feed a hungry crowd. Remember that you would have to sacrifice a lot of space and probably need extra hands to set it up.
On the other hand, smaller models are perfect for creating amazing 12-inch professional-grade pizzas designed with portability in mind. You can easily place them almost anywhere in your backyard, counter, patio, garden, or backyard.
Plus, they are usually lighter, which means you can carry them along with you on your next camping trip or tailgating.
Despite their impressive baking capabilities, using dual-fuel pizza ovens can pose a challenge, especially for beginners. However, ovens with heavy insulation and doors are preferable since they heat up quickly with minimal heat loss.
Additionally, controlling and maintaining the heat inside the dome is easier when the door is opened infrequently. A viewing glass door is handy as it lets you keep track of what is happening inside the chamber.
Although wood-fired models with chimneys require a learning curve, it is crucial that the oven has a heat-resistant baffle control. This ensures that you won’t burn your skin even if you accidentally touch it without gloves while trying to control the wood-fire heat.
Achieving high temperatures is crucial for successful pizza-making, but equally important is the ability of a dual-fuel outdoor pizza oven to retain that heat. This largely depends on the oven’s design and materials.
Some ovens have double-layered or insulated ceilings to maximize heat retention and produce outstanding results. Even though many hybrid ovens boast advanced engineering for even heat distribution, it’s still common to rotate the pizza a few times for optimal results.
Since these devices are often left outside, it’s essential that they are made of durable materials that can withstand harsh outdoor weather conditions. Moreover, it’s best to choose models with silicone or ceramic coating on the exterior to ensure they are safer for family or large gatherings.
Typically, these gadgets are backed by a one-year warranty. But you can still find models offering more extended warranties of up to three years for an extra confidence boost.
Nonetheless, it’s always better to stick with products with a longer warranty but from a trustworthy brand.
💡Maintenance and Care for Dual Fuel Pizza Oven
Caring for and maintaining your dual-fuel pizza oven is non-negotiable if you are looking to get many years out of it.
While you don’t have to worry about bacteria because they can’t survive the high temperature, ashes from burnt spillages and food bits should either be swept or vacuumed. Overlooking this simple maintenance will only lead to burnt, awful-tasting pizzas until you clean this built-up ash out. So, it’s important to do this after every baking session.
For models with a chimney, you also want to sweep this accessory out during general cleaning, which should be more than once a year.
And perhaps, the most important cleaning tip is to avoid using water or cleaning chemicals for the interiors. With water, you are putting your multi-fuel model at risk of rusting. Using chemicals will affect the taste and flavor of your subsequent pizzas.
Another part of the oven that gets abused more often is the outer part. You can see all fingerprints and smudges on the outer stainless steel. So for a clean, pristine look, wipe them off with a damp cloth and polish them using a microfiber cloth.
Finally, purchasing a pizza oven cover is best if you own an outdoor model to protect it from harsh weather and ensure minimal upkeep.
Are multi-fuel Pizza ovens bad for your health?
Wood-fired pizzas are tasty and yummy. However, purchasing the best dual-fuel outdoor pizza oven is essential to avoid creating lots of smoke that might lead to air pollution and put your health at risk.
How to light an Ooni multi-fuel pizza oven?
According to my Ooni dual fuel pizza oven review, the Karus are easy to light. Use a firelighter, preferably two, and add a couple of hardwood kindling.
The key is to add small pieces of wood to prevent putting out the fire. Light the firelighters and close the back fuel tray door. Remember to keep stoking the fire by adding more wood until the oven is hot.
Are dual-fuel ovens worth the money?
This question has no easy answer, as it boils down to individual preferences and needs.
Suppose you hate to dedicate more than half an hour tending to the fire to bake a couple of pizzas or overspend on fuel to bake dozens of pizzas for your occasional pizza parties. In that case, dual-fuel ovens are worth their weight in gold.
Numerous multi-fuel pizza ovens are marketed as the best option available, but unfortunately, only a few live up to their exorbitant prices.
After a thorough evaluation, I have compiled a list of the top 5 pizza ovens that excel in both fuel categories, resulting in the most delectable and crispy pizzas I have ever tasted. In fact, some have even surpassed the quality of trattoria-style pizzas.
While these models may come at a steep cost, I have only included products from reputable brands that offer generous warranties to safeguard your significant backyard investment. To put it simply, you can’t go wrong with any of the recommended options.
The links provided may earn us a small commission at no additional cost to you if you choose to purchase the recommended product. This support allows our research and editorial team to continue providing high-quality recommendations. As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising initiative, we are able to earn advertising fees through providing links to products on Amazon.com. Please rest assured that we only recommend high-quality products.