Wondering if your Ooni Pizza Oven can find a home inside? I’m sorry to disappoint you.
I don’t recommend using an Ooni pizza oven indoors under any circumstances. This is due to the high risk of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning. Ooni oven needs proper ventilation to function safely and optimally, which the indoor environment can’t produce.
In this blog post, I’m going to break down the key considerations, safety tips, and potential challenges associated with bringing your favorite outdoor pizza oven into your kitchen.
Why You Should Not Use Ooni Pizza Oven Indoors
“Can you use one indoors?” is one of the most common Ooni-related queries on the internet. And the answer is a big fat NO.
It’s dangerous to use a device that cooks at 900 degrees F indoors for the following reasons:
- Indoor use of gas-fired outdoor ovens poses a significant risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. These ovens can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas. This is even more dangerous if you live in an apartment because if the carbon monoxide builds up, it can affect other residents too.
- Outdoor pizza ovens can achieve temperatures of up to 950°F much faster than their indoor counterparts. The open flame and hot surfaces can easily ignite combustible materials adjacent to the indoor pizza oven, risking dangerous and uncontrolled fires quickly spreading throughout your home or business
- The exterior of the oven can get smoldering hot and, therefore, should not be around any flammable object. A house is full of flammable objects, so it’s wise to use your Ooni oven outdoors only.
- If you are using the wood-fired version, the smoke from the oven can ruin the walls, ceiling, and furnishings. Moreover, the smoke alarm will go off. The excessive smoke and heat will also make it uncomfortable and potentially dangerous for people living in the house and pets
Next Read: King Arthur 00 Flour : (Everything You Need to Know)
Can You Use Ooni Oven in the Garage, Though?
With the gas tank outside the garage and the garage door fully open, you should be okay to use the oven in your garage. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is minimal as long as you don’t leave it on for too long and have proper ventilation.
Make sure to place the oven near the garage door and install a dryer vent hose to remove the smoke.
Tips for Safely Using Ooni Pizza Oven
Ooni ovens are fairly safe to use outdoors. However, you should always be aware of the risks associated with using a gas-fired or wood-fired appliance outdoors. Here are a few things you can do to ensure optimal safety for yourself and everyone around you:
Place the Oven Outside
Put the oven in your backyard at least 10 feet away from your home. Also, ensure that it has at least 3 feet of clearance around the sides and 9 feet of clearance above.
This will allow for enough room to safely use the oven and reduce the risk of fire spreading. Put a fire extinguisher nearby in case anything goes wrong.
A level concrete surface would be ideal, but other surfaces are also fine, except wooden decks or dry grass areas due to their flammability. Also, make sure that the oven is shielded from the wind. I’d suggest using a hood to block the wind and prevent ashes from escaping.
Set up the Oven Properly
Ooni pizza ovens are a breeze to set up. All you have to do is follow the manual to a tee. Ensure the gas line is properly connected and all connections are secure before turning on the oven.
Once you’re done using the oven, switch off the gas and wait until it has completely cooled down before you remove the racks and other accessories.
Use Safety Gear
I always make sure to wear heat-resistant gloves or oven mitts when handling hot surfaces, protecting my hands and arms from the intense heat. I would also advise using an infrared thermometer to accurately gauge the oven’s temperature.
This will not only help you effectively manage different heat zones in the oven but also avoid overheating the apparatus.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Ooni pizza ovens are some of the best pizza ovens made in the world. But just like any other appliance, they need proper upkeep to stay in good condition.
Timely maintenance will also help you keep oven-related hazards at bay. As a rule, you should clean the burnt bits with a stiff pizza brush and warm water after every use.
Depending on the use, you should clean your Ooni with baking soda and water (1:1 ratio) once or twice a week.
Apart from that, thoroughly inspect the hoses from time to time to find signs of damage or tear. Replace them immediately if you find any.
How to Ensure Proper Ventilation for Ooni ?
- Paying attention to the chimney vent is key. The chimney vent plays a pivotal role in controlling airflow and temperature. Therefore, always make sure the chimney cap is in place when the oven is not in use to prevent drafts and maintain a consistent temperature.
- Take care of the grate area as well. Regularly clean the grate area and hopper to keep them free from debris and ash, facilitating proper air circulation around the burner.
- Make sure the pellets you use are of high quality, smoke-free, and capable of providing high heat. Storing them in a dry place is a must to prevent moisture absorption, ensuring optimal performance.
- If you’re making several pizzas, be sure to look for ash buildup on the grate. If you spot any, clear it away right away to keep the air flowing smoothly and ensure your cooking goes without a hitch.
Which Pizza Oven Can I Use Indoors?
It can cook two pizzas at once and has a temperature range of 450-662 degrees Fahrenheit, which makes it an ideal choice for people who like to experiment with their pizza toppings.
You can cook anything from bread to meats at different temperatures in this pizza oven. If you are looking for something extraordinary and don’t mind the premium price point, I would confidently recommend Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo.
It is the closest thing you can get to an authentic wood-fired pizza oven at home. It can reach up to 750 degrees Fahrenheit, which makes it one of the hottest models in the market.
Ooni Pizza Oven-Related FAQs
Can You Use Ooni Koda Indoors? What About the Garage?
Unfortunately, no. Due to safety reasons, all Ooni ovens are certified for outdoor use only. That said, you can use it in the garage (only) as long as you can ensure plenty of ventilation.
Can I Use My Ooni Pizza Oven on a Covered Porch?
Yes, with proper cross ventilation, you can use your Ooni pizza oven on a covered porch. In fact, it is the best way to cook pizzas on a rainy day. You can also use your Ooni pizza oven indoors and have fun with friends and family.
Can You Use Ooni in the Rain?
Ooni ovens are built to withstand harsh either conditions, including rain and heavy snowfall. You need to, of course, place the oven under a garden umbrella or tarp.
Alternatively, you can also use it on a covered porch. Make sure to do all the prep work inside before you start the cooking process. Also, keep a close eye on the peel. Ensure that it doesn’t get wet.
An Ooni pizza oven is capable of many things, but sadly, indoor use is not one of them. Even with plenty of ventilation, I would strictly recommend against it. However, you can use it in your garage, very close to the door, and with adequate ventilation. That’s all for today.